These four radio sketch programmes were designed to give listeners a quick spin through the tumultuous years of the Tudors - with a few laughs thrown in as well.
Click on the pix opposite to link to the BBC's website and listen to ...
#1 Henry VIII, his six wives, male heirs, the Church of England, crime, punishment, food, health and medicine!
#2 Elizabeth I, 'Bloody Mary', succession squabbles, religious (in)tolerance, Mary Queen of Scots, the Spanish Armada, more crime and punishment!
#3 Rich and Poor, education, disgusting jobs, fashions and fads, lavish food and lots of turnips!
#4 Work and Play, more disgusting jobs and none, a life at sea, holidays, bloodthirsty football, and girls-free theatre !
Click any of the pix below to go to the
"The Tudors" section of the BBC web site
(each will open in a new page).
Once there you'll be able to download the script and/or accompanying notes ...
or simply laugh along with the radio sketches.
#1 Henry VIII
#2 Elizabeth I
#3 Rich and Poor
#4 Work and Play
(from Henry VIII)
AN INTERVIEW ROOM
FX: KNOCK ON DOOR. BOY ENTERS.
1. OFFICIAL: Ah. You must be the boy joining the royal court on work experience.
2. BOY: (Keen as mustard) Yes, sir! I really want to know what the King does on his throne!
3. OFFICIAL: Then you’re in luck, lad. The King needs a new Groom of the Stool.
4. BOY: Wow! Will I get to see the King in action? I really want to get to the bottom of how things work.
5. OFFICIAL: You’ll do that all right. Every day. Twice sometimes.
6. BOY: Great! So – what does the Groom of the Stool do, exactly?
7. OFFICIAL: Simple. After the king has been to the toilet, the Groom wipes his bottom for him and then has the job of disposing of the King’s er – jobs. How do you like the sound of that?
8. BOY: I think the job stinks!